Friday, August 13, 2010

Wool Meets Steel and they Like Each Other


I learned how to weld last year. What a super medium to use. I thought it would be really interesting to combine metal and fibre,
My intention for this project was to find a way to combine two completely different materials,

Wool fleece is soft, pliable, colourful, fluffy and airy. Steel is hard, cold, rusty, and heavy. By transforming fleece into felt and steel into form I was able to find a relationship between the two elements that worked. The steel was welded into a vessel to contain the fleece and the wool balls give the steel colour and life and texture.
I also find it interesting that the wool fleece belongs more to the lower world of “crafts”, a predominately female domain, where steel and welding is more a man’s and fits better into respectability and the world of art. My interest lies in combining both worlds in order to find balance

No comments:

Post a Comment