Monday, May 9, 2011

Washing Wool

Well, I am back from visiting family in Toronto and am ready to finally settle down and do my spring work. I have begun working on my garden and washing the wools I purchased in anticipation of spring. My favourite wool comes from Ranfurly Farm in Chase BC. Read their Blog at:  http://ranfurlyfarmbfls.blogspot.com/p/ram-photos.htmlThe blue-faced Leicester sheep that are kept there have a beautiful fleece. The fleeces are clean and easy to wash and dye and felt wonderfully. I guess you don't always know how well kept things are till you experience something else. I bought a lambs fleece in the fall, from a not to be mentioned farm, and the wool was so dirty, with both vegetable and fecal matter that it took forever to wash.

This is a picture of Bokiddick with her two lambs. The fleece is great and I can't wait to begin dyeing it. I will, definitely, buy a bigger fleece next year. I was trying to be conservative and use up some of my stash. I guess I also thought I would dye the lamb's wool, but the quality of that has been degraded to the quality of stuffing and not worthy of dyeing.

No comments:

Post a Comment