Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Fine Art & Craft

This is my last sculpture for this term. I decided to make podiums as I have not resolved my desire to make more classical looking sculptures. I welded the three podiums because I like them and wanted to and when they were empty they reminded me of art theory. The one on the right was our conception of fine art, the middle one was craft tradition and the last one was contemporary installation. So I went with that theme and created felt pieces to go along with it. Though contemporary installation isn't felt.
I was really happy with my welds. I just love those round disks so I went back to Action Metal hoping I could find some more even though there was snow on the ground. Luckily, they were under a massive pile of metal scraps untouched by the white flocks. I have learned that when we find interesting pieces, it might be a good idea to hoard. I would never be able to cut those circles so precisely with the plasma cutter.

No comments:

Post a Comment